Arduino Project

For our final Project in Hacking and building the professor gave up the task of using a basic Arduino kit to make almost anything, we would like.

I choose to develop a self-driving car. My Arduino self-driving car is a project will be made by using a car chassis, four motorized wheels, and a few sensors. It is powered by a 4 4.1-volt battering using an Arduino and an Adafruit. When it is turned on, it starts driving straight forward. When it finds an obstacle ahead, it looks for both sides, and turn to the side where it has more free space. If there is no free space ahead of or on both sides, it reverses the motors to drive backward.

Here is my parts list
1) Arduino Uno
2) Motor Driver Shield
3) Wheels (4x)
4) TT Gear Motor (4x)
5) Servo Motor
6) Ultrasonic Sensor
6)AABattery (4x)
7) 18650 Battery Holder
8) Male and Female Jumper wire
9) 4 Wheel Car chassis

To begin I assembled the car chassis. This was rather simple and intuitive.
You will also have to connect the 4 motors. Keep in mind that you can connect the red and black wires to either side because of it reversible but you should maintain the same connection for each. These can then be attached to the car chassis as well. The wheels them connect to the motor they require quite a bit of force to attach them.

Next, you can mount the Arduino.
The Motor shield will be next depending on how you ordered your motor shield you may have to assemble it by soldering the head pins this will allow for the current to Arduino.

Once you have the Motor shield connected to the Arduino you can then connect the 4 Motors to M1-M4.

Moving on we must connect the eyes of the car(sensor) You can glue the motor to the front of the car chassis and then screw the Sensor on top to connect them. You can then connect the motor to the sensor and be mindful of the placement of the servo wires. I initially placed the wires incorrectly which didn’t allow for my project to work. One you placed the servo and the sensors Its time to power this bad boy up. This simply connects the red and black wires to the power and then insert batteries. The Arduino and motor shield should both light up.

Now it is time to code
My initial code, of course, did not work 🙂

So moving on to trouble shooting:

The only part of this contraption that works is the servo motor which rotates left and right when power is supplied to it.

So I began by testing the Sensor to make sure that it is picking up information. I uploaded a small bit of code to the Arduino but unfortunately the device did not print information that showed if it was working, I then swapped out the sensor for a brand new one still I was able to get a read from the sensor.

Next I checked the wheels to see if I could get them to move. Throughout this entire process I have been able to get the wheels of the car to move in any direction.

After a few days of trying to get past this point by using different code, I had run out of ideas about what could be wrong with this device. Although I failed at getting my project to run properly, I am glad I challenged my self to aim high and out of my comfort level. I have learned so many little bits of information so maybe over the summer, I will be able to get my machine working.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *